VOA's English-language radio and TV will air extensive election coverage throughout the day. Coverage will include the latest election returns; live correspondent reports from the Bush and Kerry camps and from Democratic and Republican headquarters in Washington; updates on key Congressional races; and regional election updates.
In addition to English-language coverage, VOA will provide the following language coverage:
- VOA Persian will air expanded, hour-long editions of its popular daily news program "News and Views" on both the day of and day after the election. VOA Persian will also broadcast a special one-hour program on election night itself, with in-studio guests and live remotes from correspondents with the Democrats in Boston and the Republicans in Washington.
- VOA Spanish will produce a special 3-hour live program to be carried on major networks throughout Latin America.
- VOA Mandarin will provide a special 1/2 hour election program for MASTV, a satellite channel reaching east and southeast Asia, as well as live updates to Taiwan's ETTV.
- VOA Indonesian will also air a 1/2 hour special on election night and other special cut-ins for Metro TV, the leading news channel in Indonesia, which reaches 279 cities and 118 million people across the country. VOA Indonesian will be providing special coverage for top networks in Indonesia. These will include live reports from Washington to SCTV, the most popular channel for news in Indonesia. SCTV reaches 150 million people in 19 provinces.
- VOA Cantonese will provide live television updates for RTHK in Hong Kong.
- VOA Hindi will be broadcasting live updates throughout election night to Aaj Tak, including breaking news, background materials and live remotes from the Democratic and Republican election night headquarters. Aaj Tak is the #1 cable network in India with a reach of 100 million.
- Eurasia Division Services - Russian, Ukrainian, Serbian, Albanian, Croatian, Greek, and Macedonian - will all provide special election night reports and updates throughout election night.
- VOA English will provide special updates for the biggest English language news channel in India, Headlines Today, and to CTN in Cambodia.
- VOA's Thai service will provide special cut-ins for the main national network in Thailand, MCOT, and will produce an interactive program with the US Embassy in Bangkok.
- VOA Africa TV will provide a breaking news update to KBC (Kenya) and South African Broadcasting Corporation on election night.
- VOA's Uzbek, Azeri, Armenian and Turkish language services will all provide special TV election reports.
VOA Persian, Urdu, Kurdish, Spanish, Swahili and Amharic language services will be dedicating or expanding radio air shows to provide special election coverage. All other services will be providing special coverage in their regular programs.
VOA's Internet audience will have access to the latest election results and news stories at www.VOANews.com.
Media interested in taking B-roll/audio or interviews should contact VOA's Office of Public Affairs at 202-401-7000.
The Voice of America, which first went on the air in 1942, is a multimedia international broadcasting service funded by the U.S. government through the Broadcasting Board of Governors. VOA broadcasts more than 1,000 hours of news, information, educational, and cultural programming every week to an estimated worldwide audience of nearly 100 million people. Programs are produced in 44 languages.